The Mind Of A Journalist

the-mind-of-journalist
Graphics by Akio Macaraeg

Just because your dream is delayed, it does not mean it is denied” – Faith Del Mundo

The Manila Times and The Manila Times College held its 4th Campus Press Awards last January 29, 2021. The aforementioned event aims to recognize and inspire talented and promising students to pursue their passion for journalism. In this event, one of the speakers, Ms. Faith Del Mundo, a TV-5 reporter and The Manila Times College Alumni, gave wonderful insight and lessons for all aspiring journalists. She used the word FAITH, which is also her name, to impart her lessons.

According to Ms. Faith Del Mundo, one of the things a good journalist must have is faith. You can forget everything, but your faith must remain. To her, Faith is an acrostic that each journalist should keep in mind to be a good and credible writer.

F – Fearless and flexible
“No story is worth dying for.”
You can be fearless if you are knowledgeable and confident about the content that you are writing, but how are you going to do that? By researching and reading. If you are knowledgeable enough, you will be more confident and fearless. Being flexible refers to your ability to change and adapt to different circumstances. As a writer, there are different situations that you might cover, which is why you need to “flex your flexibility”.

A – Analytical Mind
There are so many sides to a story, but as a journalist, you must not believe in things you just hear. You must validate and find credible sources. Know the relevant facts, be observant, and report based on evidence and truth, not only emotions or your say. A good journalist must have the ability to think in an organized and rational manner to understand the connections between information or ideas.

I – I, Integrity, and Incorruptible
If you do not love what you do, you will end up quitting, and you will not have the motivation to improve. Ensure that you enjoy featuring stories and delivering the truth to the public so that you will not lose the inspiration to write. Integrity refers to who you are when no one is watching. Being honest to yourself, to the public, and not taking advantage of others is important as a writer. Being incorruptible as a writer means you should not be susceptible to corruption or bribery to cover up the truth. Do not do anything that will dishonor you.

T – Truthful and Technical Skills
The main obligation of a journalist is to deliver the truth and to be honest. Always remember that your work must be credible and that your information must be believable. Technical Skills are the unique knowledge and expertise needed to accomplish your work, while skills are acquired by repetitive practice.

H – Heart
Check your heart if you love your job and if you are passionate about what you do. If you do not love your job, you will end up quitting. At this time, everyone has an opinion. While there are many sides to the story, your job as a journalist is to illustrate the entire picture. Make sure to have a kind heart to make this world a better place.

Among the organizations and student journalists awarded during the 4th The Manila Times Campus Press awards is our Ink writer Mr. Sean Rosas. His piece “The Media: Then and Now, and Our Part in It” won 2nd Runner up in Best News Story. Even Enderun’s official student publication, Ink Enderun, won 2nd runner up in Best News Website.

For all aspiring journalists, always check your heart and your desires. Journalism is not about becoming rich or famous but about having the heart to deliver the truth. Journalism is a public service. It is a fulfilling purpose of giving the public not just what they want but also what they need. As Ms. Faith mentioned in her talk, “Change always starts with you. Our country needs you, the world needs you, and together let us help this world be a better place to live in.

If you’re a student at Enderun Colleges and are interested in joining Ink Enderun, please send an email to ink@enderuncolleges.com with your desired position and sample work.

You may also like...